There is no doubt the FinTech “disruption” has proved itself over the last few years and evolved in the eyes of the industry, commerce and regulation. Without the demand of the FinTech sector broadly, this report would simply consist of the regular management change at financial institutions, typically due to regulatory pressure, transformation or cost containment. This new Alternative Financial Services segment – FinTech and Crypto/Digital Asset – is now a true player in the competition for talent, particularly in the regulatory and controls space – Risk Management and Compliance.
In the listings below, there are new CROs, CCOs, Heads of Financial Crime, Chief Legal Officers and Regulatory leads who have been grabbed by the emerging players in the Alternative Financial Services space, all of which came from brand name firms or regulators in the industry. Sought after experience ranges from consumer/banking regulatory compliance, securities compliance, non-financial risk (operational risk, cyber risk management), BSA/AML and credit risk.
- American Express names David Nigro as new Chief Risk Officer (StreetInsider)
- Carlyle promotes Heather Mitchell to Chief Risk Officer (Private Equity News)
- Celsius hires former Morgan Stanley risk executive as Chief Risk Officer (PR Newswire)
- Common Securitization Solutions names Louis Glinn as Chief Risk Officer (TheStreet)
- Cross River Bank appoints Steven Heruty as Chief Risk Officer, most recently Chief Credit Officer.
- Deutsche Bank names Jonathan Hummel as Chief Risk Officer for the Americas.
- Fannie Mae names board member Ryan Zanin as Chief Risk Officer (Mortgage Professional America)
- Grant Thornton promotes Beatrix Bernauer to the new role of Chief Risk and Compliance Officer.
- Goldman Sachs rehires Brian King as Consumer Chief Risk Officer and Head of Business Operations after a short stint with Wells Fargo (Kelo)
- Homepoint hired John Forlines, former CRO of Fannie Mae, as Chief Risk Officer.
- IMF appoints Brenda Boultwood as Director of Risk Management (Daily News Egypt)
- LoanDepot names Karin Lockovitch as Chief Risk Officer (PR Newsire)
- LSE Group appoints Balbir Bakhshi as Chief Risk Officer (MarketScreener)
- M&T Bank named Michael Todaro as new Chief Risk Officer.
- OCC names former State Street executive David Ye as Chief Risk Officer (MarketScreener)
- PNC appoints Kieran Fallon, formerly the deputy general counsel, as Chief Risk Officer (Risk.net)
- Sallie Mae hires Kerri Palmer as Chief Risk & Compliance Officer.
- Santander Consumer USA names RL Prasad as Chief Risk Officer (PR Newswire)
- TriColor hires Nick Brown, former OnDeck CRO, as Chief Risk Officer (Globe News Wire)
- USAA welcomes new bank President and new Chief Risk Officer (PR Newswire)
- Wells Fargo names Eric Yoss Chief Risk Officer for Corporate & Investment Banking (ABL Advisor)
- Capital One appoints Dov Hasselkorn as CORO and CMRO.
- Deutsche Bank appoints Adrian Munday as new Head of Operational Risk (Risk.net)
- Millennium builds out risk management with ex-Goldman Sachs hires (Financial Times)
- SMBC Americas named Prasad Kodali as Chief Operational Risk Officer.
- Stripe hired Sujatha Srinivasan, formerly of Goldman Sachs, as Enterprise Risk Management Lead.
- USAA names Gareth Davies as CORO.
- Apollo names Yael Levy as new Chief Compliance Officer.
- Betterment adds Bank of America lawyer as new Chief Compliance Officer (Bloomberg Law)
- BitGo hires Coinbase’s former Chief Compliance Officer (Wall Street Journal)*
- Bitstamp hired Thomas Hook as Chief Compliance Officer (Law360)
- BNY Mellon hired Emma Bredin, previous CCO of Raymond James, as Global Chief Compliance & Ethics Officer.
- BNY Mellon hired Julie Richard as Chief Compliance Officer for BNYM Wealth Management.
- Brex hires new Chief Compliance Officer, Frederick Reynolds, formerly the Head of Financial Crime Legal at Barclays.
- Circle hires Mandeep Walia, formerly of Facebook, as Chief Compliance and Risk Officer.
- Cross River Bank taps Juan Azel as Chief Compliance Officer.
- Coinbase hires Melissa Strait, formerly of Stripe, as Chief Compliance Officer (The Coinbase Blog)
- Coinbase hires Ian Rooney, formerly Morgan Stanley, as Head of Enterprise Compliance.
- Discover named Michael Roemer as Chief Compliance Officer.
- DraftKings names Jennifer Aguiar as Chief Compliance Officer (Globe Newswire)
- Eco hires Nishi Gupta, formerly of American Express, as Head of Compliance.
- Facebook appoints its first Chief Compliance Officer amid ongoing scrutiny (Reuters)
- Fidelity hired Nancy Swift, formerly Deputy CCO of Wells Fargo, as Head of Enterprise Compliance.
- Fifth Third Bank named Paul Dougherty as Chief Compliance Officer.
- First Citizens named Bill Walsh, previously of Fifth Third, as Chief Compliance Officer.
- Gemini named Elena Hughes as Chief Compliance Officer.
- Guardian Life names Phil Pescatore Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer (PR Newswire)
- Grayscale hired Benjamin Melnicki as Chief Compliance Officer.
- HSBC Chief Compliance Officer to be the Head of EU business as part of management shuffle (CNBC)
- HSBC names Kirsty Everett as interim Chief Compliance Officer (Wall Street Journal)*
- KPMG hires Scott Essex, former CCO of Citizens Financial, as Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer.
- Melio appoints Jonathan Polk, formerly of American Express, as GC & Chief Compliance Officer (Yahoo! Finance)
- Petal names Eli Corbett as General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer (Investors Hub)
- Pimco Chief Compliance Officer to retire (Wall Street Journal)*
- PNC names Michael Abriatis, formerly CORO, as Chief Compliance Officer.
- Raymond James named Steven LaBarbera as Chief Compliance Officer.
- Societe Generale named Michael Bixon, most recently Regional Head of FCC, as Regional Head of Compliance.
- USAA named Mani Sulur as Chief Compliance Officer.
- Walmart Global Ethics and Compliance Chief, Daniel Trujillo, to depart (Compliance Week)
- Yorkville Advisors Global hired Mark Egert as Chief Compliance Officer.
- BitGo hired Michelle Neufeld as Deputy Chief Compliance Officer and BSA Officer.
- Cash App hired Charlie George as Global Head of Financial Crimes Compliance
- Citi hired Dan Veale, formerly of UBS, as Global Head of Surveillance, ICG. He replaces John Militzis, who transitioned into a new role, Head of Conduct Risk for the Americas.
- Citi hires FinCEN’s Ken Blanco as Financial Crimes Compliance chief (Bloomberg)
- Deutsche Bank appoints US General Counsel Joe Salama as Global Head of Anti Financial Crime (Wall Street Journal)*
- Deutsche Bank hired Trish Sullivan as Head of Financial Crime Business Control and Oversight for the Corporate and Investment Bank.
- Deutsche Bank hires Eric Kringel formerly Citi’s Global Head of Transaction Monitoring as Head of TM & Investigations
- K2 Integrity hires compliance industry veteran Fred Springer as a Senior Managing Director in its Financial Crimes Risk Management practice (PR Newswire)
- Novi Financial hires Kristen Hecht, former Head of Financial Crime Compliance for HSBC China, as Global Head of AML.
- Prime Trust hired Nirvana Patel as Head of Core & Financial Crimes Compliance.
- Promontory Financial Group hired Justina Rousseau as MD, Head of Financial Crimes Practice Group for the Americas.
- Robinhood hired Jeffrey Weiss, former Chief BSA Officer of TD Ameritrade, as Head of Financial Crime.
- USAA hired Jee Kymm, formerly of Citigroup, as Chief Audit Executive for AML & Compliance.
- USAA Bank hired Anna Peterson, formerly of Wells Fargo, as Financial Crime Risk Management Executive.
- Affirm hires Katherine Adkins as Chief Legal Officer (Bloomberg Law)
- Citadel Securities names former CFTC chair Heath Tarbert as Chief Legal Officer (Yahoo! Finance)
- Citi General Counsel Rohan Weerasinghe to retire by end of year (Bloomberg Law)
- Coinbase hires Faryar Shirzad, formerly of Goldman Sachs, as Chief Policy Officer (Coinbase Press Release)
- Goldman Sachs general counsel departs as senior executive exits grow (Bloomberg)
- IEX Group hires Rachel Barnett as new Chief Legal Officer (IEX Press Release)
- INX appoints Cathy Yoon as General Counsel (MarketScreener)
- KeyCorp appoints James Waters to General Counsel and Corporate Secretary (PR Newswire)
- New York Department of Financial Services hires industry vet, David Buchalter, as Deputy General Counsel to focus on regulatory buildout of cryptocurrency.
- SEC General Counsel to leave agency in January (Law360)
- Silicon Valley Bank hired Colleen Graham as General Counsel of Private Banking and Wealth.
- SMBC hired Scott Flood, formerly General Counsel of Citigroup Global Markets, as Managing Director and US General Counsel.
- Stripe hires Cleary Gottlieb partner Katherine Mooney Carroll as Global Policy Chief (Bloomberg Law)
- Wells Fargo raids financial services rivals for legal team trio of new deputy general counsels (Bloomberg)
- USAA appoints Michael Boyd as real estate General Counsel (PR Newswire)
- Visa elevates top lawyers as DOJ scrutiny scuttles Plaid deal (Bloomberg Law)
- BlackRock named Dalia Blass as the new Head of External Affairs.
- Charles Schwab taps Jones Day partner to lead new in-house regulatory group (Law.com)
- MUFG hires new US Head of Regulatory Affairs, Collin Schwartz.
- Prometheum appoints former FINRA Senior Advisor Rosemarie Fanelli as Chief Regulatory Officer (ADVFN)
- Steptoe hires Goldman Sachs sanctions specialist Dave Stetson, who will join the international trade and regulatory compliance group (Law.com)
- Binance.US hires former head of OCC Brian Brooks as CEO (Wall Street Journal)*
- Capital One board expands to add Facebook and Nike executives (American Banker)
- NYCB appointed Thomas Cangemi, previously the CFO, as CEO (PR Newswire)
- Raymond James board gets more diverse with Marlene Debel, CRO of MetLife, to serve (Catalyst)
- Ripple adds Sandie O’Connor, most recently the Chief Regulatory Affairs Officer at JPMorgan Chase, to the Board of Directors (Ripple Press Release)
- TIAA names JPMorgan’s Thasunda Brown Duckett as CEO (Wall Street Journal)*
- Wealthfront adds former FDIC Chair Sheila Bair and former Comptroller of Currency Tom Curry to Banking Advisory Group on the board (PR Newswire)
- BitGo hires Cassie Lentchner as Chief Operating Officer (Coindesk)
- Bridgewater reshuffles leadership ranks after bruising year (Wall Street Journal)*
- Coinbase hires ex-SEC Director to run Capital Markets division (Wall Street Journal)*
- Cross River hired Sudeep Arora as Chief Credit Officer.
- FinCEN names former Chainalysis executive acting director as Ken Blanco resigns (Coindesk)
- Google hires Phil Venables, former CISO and CORO of Goldman Sachs, to be the first CISO for Google Cloud (Wall Street Journal)*
- Kemper hires Mark Weintraub, former Audit Exec and CORO of Wells Fargo, as Head of Internal Audit.
- Microsoft hired Bradley Bismark, former Regional Head of Financial Crimes Compliance for HSBC, as Director of Global Risk and Compliance Operations.
- Prudential Financial named Meyrick Douglas as Chief Auditor.
- Oscar hired AIG’s Chief Risk Officer as EVP, Chief Insurance Officer (PR Newswire)
- Walmart lures Goldman Sachs bankers to help lead new fintech startup (Bloomberg)